Wednesday, February 17, 2010

big suckers

Making sucker bits out of spade bits turned out to be pretty easy, but we need to make some bigger suckers. The largest spade bit I have found is 1.5 inches. I'd like to be able to make suckers at least twice that large, so I made a prototype 3 inch sucker bit out of a flat piece of 1/4 inch aluminum.

It worked quite well, so I'm now working on a set of bits in made in this style out of 1/4 inch steel. Tonight I drink a toast to whoever invented the angle grinder.

1 comment:

anithri said...

OK this is too cool, I can't wait to see pictures of the final product, and i think you should pass them on to PZ Myers at http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/ who has a serious cephalod fancy (i think it has to do with his evolutionary research or something.